Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Introduction to SlideShare

This is week two of 23 Things for Archivists, and we are up to "Thing #3: SlideShare." Each new "thing" we try just reinforces my amazement at how many individuals have put up so many things on the internet for sharing. There is so much information out there that it is difficult to navigate through it to find those few things that are useful to you. It was fairly easy to create an account in SlideShare and to search for presentations that related to Web 2.0. I chose to narrow the search to Web 2.0 and libraries and archives. I found several presentations that were quite interesting. The presentation that focused on the angry staff person giving all the reasons why you should not use Web 2.0 as a means to access your collection was fun but to the point. I certainly have heard all those reasons presented so forcefully that it made me pause to doubt my thinking.

The other thing that I keep realizing with every new application that I explore is that so many of the barriers are falling away. You can create beautiful blog pages without knowing XML and not having access to the server manned by the Office of Information Technology. I created the first web page for the Archives of Appalachia writing the html code on an IBM mainframe using Xedit. It is so much easier now. There are so many more possibilities especially for smaller archives that have limited staff and resources.

The one fear that I am not over is how materials will be used once we have placed them out there on the web. I am excited by the possibility of enriching the information through the contribution of users, but I am concerned about two things. How do you get beyond the trivia and how do you protect the people that you are documenting. This Archives documents life in Appalachia. The culture is one that has spawned many stereotypes, and I have seen requests to use images in a way that can be damaging not only to the individual but also to the Appalachian culture. When I search these sources for materials on Appalachia, I find information on coal and poverty. Maybe I have a new quest to study the region on the web through all these different means of people contributing content to see if the crowd depiction of Appalachia is any different than the stereotype of the hillbilly that has been alive and well since the advent of the color writers at the turn of the century.

3 comments:

  1. Norma, these are excellent questions. I attended a presentation at SAA in San Francisco (2008) in which some of these exact concerns were addressed except in the context of native Hawaiian culture. I know archivists in Australia and New Zealand have also extensively examined divided responsibilities. I would be happy to share some URLs if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be most interested in the URLs that you have to share. I did a panel presentation at SAA some years back about this issue, but I was unable to attend the meeting in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This URL is for a wiki regarding the 2008 SAA presentation:

    www.ibiblio.org/.../Evolution_in_the_Archive:_Complicating_the_Picture

    The presentation most relevant to your concerns was Lynn Ann Davis' discussion about Hawai'i and the "Paradise Factor." It was about how assumptions about Hawai'i (tropical paradise, the aloha factor, etc.) cloud historical and socio-political realities for native Hawaiians. She gave some startling examples. I searched Slideshare for presentations by Lynn, but I didn't find anything. That being said, Slideshare's search capabilities are pretty rotten.

    In Janaury 2009, I attended a talk at Columbia called "Archiving Women." I couldn't find online the site I hoped to find about Elizabeth Povinelli of Columbia Univ. who has investigated the use of digital archives and native Australian culture. It may be that we were shown portions of a site with access restricted to stakeholders, which was one of the points of her talk. This issue of Vectors mentions her work and I recognize the image from the presentation:

    http://vectors.usc.edu/projects/index.php?project=90&thread=ProjectCredits

    I hope this is helpful to you.

    Best wishes,

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete