Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mashups and Badges


This week our assignment was to look at mashups and badges that could be placed on our websites. I first explored Big Huge Lab site and practiced making trading cards using one of my own photographs as well as one from the Archives of Appalachia. It was pretty exciting to see how easy it was to create a very nice looking trading card. I decided to post one of my own photographs from my personal Flickr site rather than the photographs from the Archives. We are in the middle of a total redesign of our web pages and I didn't want to add anything to the old site right now in fear that it would impede progress in getting the new web site up and going.

When thinking about how this could be used with photographs from the Archives, I immediately thought of all our railroad photographs and many devoted railroad buffs that support the Archives. Trading cards, posters, calendars, etc. would be of interest to them. One of the trading cards that I created is to the right of this text.

The next task involved creating a badge for a web page. The first thing that I tried was to create a flash badge using Flickr. I couldn't get it to work. It wouldn't appear in the blog text. After attempting several times, I decided to try the html badge. While it appears on the page below, it doesn't look like what I created in Flickr. The border and background color was lost. I am going to keep experimenting with it.



www.flickr.com








Cove of the Doe's itemsGo to Cove of the Doe's photostream



No comments:

Post a Comment